Murray House is a Victoria-era building in Stanley – and similar to the Blake Pier, it originally stood in Central. It was built in 1846 as officers’ quarters of the Murray Barracks. The building was relocated to the south of Hong Kong Island during the 2000s.
Murray House was one of the oldest surviving public buildings in Hong Kong. Similar to many of its contemporaries from the early colonial era, it was designed in Classical architecture style. The heavy stone walls are located on the ground floor to a give sense of stability, while columns are placed on the floors above to allow better ventilation. All floors have verandas on all sides in response to the local subtropical monsoons climate. The house has Chinese tiles on its roof, so it’s a combination of Eastern and Western architecture.
Murray House was built in 1846 as officers’ quarters of the Murray Barracks during the early years of British rule. It was named after Sir George Murray, the British Master-General of the Ordnance at the time of construction. During the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong the building was used as the command centre by the Japanese military police. It was a venue for executing Chinese citizens during the 44-month Japanese occupation.After World War II, several government departments used the building as offices, including the Rating and Valuation Department, starting in 1965.
In 1982, the historical landmark was dismantled to yield to the new Bank of China Tower. Over 3,000 building blocks were labelled and catalogued for future restoration. In 1990, the Housing Department proposed the resurrection of the building in Stanley. The building was restored in 2001 and reopened in 2002.